Once you’ve finished writing your professional resume, it’s time to test it. We test each of our clients’ resumes against these 15 qualities, and you should, too.
- Appearance: Is it enticing? Would you want to read it?
- Layout: Professional style, graphically presented?
- Length: Can you get the same effect if it is shorted?
- Relevance: Has extraneous material been deleted?
- Writing Style: Is everything grammatically correct? Spelling checked?
- Action: Do sentences begin with action verbs?
- Specificity: Is there focus instead of generalities?
- Accomplishments: Are your most outstanding abilities presented?
- Completeness: Have you left out important data?
- Goal Directed: Does the employer immediately know what you want?
- Audit Trail: Can an employer find you later?
- Truth: Do you avoid inflating the truth?
- Impact: Do you imply self-confidence?
- Documentation: Can statements be verified?
Relationships: Have references been informed?
Still need help writing a powerful professional resume? You’ve come to the right place. Review our other Résumé School articles, or hire one of our expert Resume Poets® to write your own professional resume.